1. Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, 1988, Conference on Economic Development Experiences of Taiwan and Its New Role in an Emerging Asia-Pacific Area, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
2. Ho, Samuel P. S., 1978, Economic Development of Taiwan 1860-1970, Yale University Press, New Haven. ※
3. Lau, Lawrence J., ed., 1990, Models of Development: A Comparative Study of Economic Growth in South Korea And Taiwan, ICS Press, San Francisco. ※
4. Clark, Cal , 1994, Taiwan’s Development: Implications for Contending Political Economy Paradigms, Greenwood press, New York.
5. Pang, Chien-Kuo, 1992, The State and Economic Transformation: The Taiwan Case, 1992, Garland Publishing, Inc., New York.
6. Ranis, Gustav, ed., 1992, Taiwan: From Developing to Mature Economy, Westview Press, Inc., Boulder, Colorado. ※
7. Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research, 1992, Conference on Economic Restructuring and Growth, Conference Series, No. 22, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
8. Winckler, Edwin A. and Susan Greenhalgh, eds., 1988, Contending Approaches to the Political Economy of Taiwan, M. E. Sharpe, Inc., Armonk, New York.
9. Robert Wade, 1990, Governing the Market: Economic Theory and the Role of Government in East Asian Industrialization, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, ※
10. Chou, T.C., 1995, Industrial Organization in a Dichotomous Economy, Avebury, Aldershot, England.
11. Meier, Gerald M, and James E. Rauch, 2000, Leading Issues in Economic Development, 7th ed., New York: Oxford University Press. ※
12. Ash, Robert and Megan Greene, 2007, Taiwan in the 21st century, N.Y.: Routledge, New York.
A. Historical Development of Taiwan (1624-1949)
- The Traditional Economy and Economic Development under Colonialism, in Ho, Ch 2-3, 6. ※
B. Postwar Economic Growth: Industrialization and Structure Change
- Agricultural Productivity, Comparative Advantage, and Economic Growth, in Meier, Section II.3, pp. 107-110. ※
- Income distribution, Market Size, and Industrialization, in Meier, Section II.4, pp.111-113. ※
- Postwar Growth and Structural Changes in Agriculture, in Ho, Ch 7-9.
- Economic Growth and Income Distribution in Taiwan, 1953-64, in Meier, Selection VIII.C.1, pp.409-416. ※
The process of Industrialization
- The Turning Point of Taiwan’s Economic Development: 1958-1961, in Pang, Ch 6. ※
- The Process of Industrial Development and Alternative Development Strategies, in Meier, Selection IV.A.4, pp. 180-186..
- Postwar Industrialization: Record and Policy, in Ho, Ch 10. ※
- The Economic Development of the Republic of China on Taiwan, 1965-1981, in Lau, Ch2. ※
- The Economy of Taiwan, 1981-1988: A Time of Passages, in Lau, Ch 5.
- The Pattern and Strategy of Industrialization, in Chou (1995), Ch1. ※
- The Process of Industrial Development and Alternative Development Strategies, in Meier, Selection IV.A.4, pp. 180-186.
- Exchange Control, Liberalization, and Economic Development, in Meier, Selection IV.A.5., pp.187-190.
- Trade Policy Reform, in Meier, Slection IV.A.6, pp. 191-192.
Riedel, James, “International Trade in Taiwan’s Transition from Developing to Mature Economy,” in Ranis, 253-304. ※
- Chen, T. J. and Y. H. Ku, 2003, “The Effect of Overseas Investment on Domestic Employment,” NBER Working Paper, no.10156, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge.
- Chen, Homin and Chen, Tain-Jy, 1998, “Network Linkages and Location Choice in Foreign Direct Investment,” Journal of International Business Studies, 29(3), 445-468. ※
- Chen, Tain-Jy and Meng-Chun Liu, 1998, “Production Networks and Patterns of Trade: Evidence from Taiwan,” Pacific Economic Review, 3(1), 49-69.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1998, “Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,” Journal of Economic Perspectives, 12(4), 31-49.
The Role of State
- The Role of State in Less Developed Countries, in Meier, Selection IX.A.1, pp.426-430.
- Good Policy or Good Luck? Growth Performance and Temporary Shocks, in Meier, Selection III.6, pp.147-152.
- Governing the Market, in Wade (1990), Ch3-4. ※
- Getting Interventions Right: How South Korea and Taiwan Grew Rich, in Meier, Selection IV.A.7, pp. 195-207.
- Wade, Robert, “State Intervention in ‘Outward-looking’ Development: Neoclassical Theory and Taiwanese Practice”, in White (1988) ed., Developmental States in East Asia, pp. 30-67. ※
- Wang, Eric C., 1997, “Structural Change and Industrial Policy in Taiwan, 1966-91: An Extended Input-Output Analysis”, Asian Economic Journal, 11(2), 187-206.
Chen, Been-Lon, 1997, “Picking Winners and Industrialization in Taiwan」, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 5(2), 137-159. ※
- Ranis, Gustav, 1997, “The Comparative Development Experience of Mexico, the Philippines and Taiwan from a Political Economy Perspective”, Growth and Change, 28(4), 393-437.
- Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda, in Meier, Selection III.5, pp. 141-146.
- Besley, Timothy, Alec R. Levenson, 1996, “The Role of Informal Finance in Household Capital Accumulation: Evidence from Taiwan”, Economic Journal, 106(434), 39-59.
- Lee, Yung-san and Tzong-rong Tsai, “Development of Financial System and Monetary policies in Taiwan”, in Academia Sinica, 205-256
- Financial Dualism and Economic Development, in Chou (1995), Ch3.
- Jin-Tan Liu, Meng-Wen Tsou, James K. Hammitt, 1999, “Do Small Plants Grow Faster? Evidence from the Taiwan Electronics Industry”, Economics Letters, 65(1), 121-129. ※
- Hu, Ming-Wen and Chi Schive, 1996, “The Market Shares of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises in Taiwan Manufacturing,” Asian Economic Journal, 10(2), 117-131.
- The Experience of SMEs’ Development, in Chou (1995), Ch8.
Hu, M. W. and Chi Schive, 1996, “The Market Shares of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises in Taiwan Manufacturing,” Asian Economic Journal, 10, 117-131.
- Economic Growth and Income Distribution in Taiwan, 1953-64, in Meier, Selection VIII.C.1, 409-416.
- Kuo, Shirley W. Y., “The Achievement of Growth with Equality”, in Academia Sinica, 71-120. ※
C. Sources of Economic Development: Human Capital, International Trade and Technological Transfer
Saving and Investment
- Young, Alwyn, 1995, “The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, 110, 641-680.
International trade and technology transfer
- Typology in Development theory: Retrospective and Prospects, in Meier, Selective IV.A.2, pp.170-174.
Foreign contract and technology transfer, in Meier, IV.B., pp. 204-212.
- Learning in International Production Networks, in Meier, Note IV.B.1, 204-205.
- Schive, Chi, “Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer in Taiwan”, in Academia Sinica, 345-381.
- Ma, T. C., 2009, "Development Strategy and Export-Led Growth: Lessons Learned from Taiwan's Experience." Journal of Development Studies,45(7), 1150-1164.
- Chuang, Yih-Chyi, 1996, “Identifying the Sources of Growth in Taiwan’s Manufacturing Industry,” Journal of Development Studies, 32(3), 445-463. ※
- Jin-Tan Liu, Meng-Wen Tsou, James K. Hammitt, 1999, “Export Activity and Productivity: Evidence from the Taiwan Electronics Industry,” Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, 135(4), 675-691.
- Chuang, Yih-Chyi, 1999, “Returns to Scale, Productive Efficiency, and Optimal Firm Size Evidence from Taiwan's Firm Data,” Applied Economics, 31(11), 1353-1364. ※
- Chen, Tain-Jy, and Grace Wu, 1996, “Determinants of Investment of FDI in Taiwan,” Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, 132(1), 172-184. ※
- Zhang, K. H. L., 2005, "Why does so much FDI from Hong Kong and Taiwan go to Mainland China?" China Economic Review, 16(3), 293-307.
- Chuang, Yih-chyi and Chi-mei Lin, 1999, “Foreign Direct Investment, R&D, and Spillover Efficiency: Evidence from Taiwan’s Manufacturing Firms,” Journal of Development Studies, 35(4), 117-137. ※
- Chen, Tain-Jy, 2005, “The Emergence of Hsinchu Science Park as an IT Cluster,” paper presented at International Conference on the ICT Clusters in East Asia, Kitakyushu, Japan, December 12-14, 2005.
- Chuang, Yih-chyi, 1999, “The Role of Human Capital in Taiwan’s Economic Development”, Asian Economic Journal 13(2), 117-144. ※
- Liu, Paul K. C., “Science, Technology and Human Capital Formation,” in Ranis, 357-393.
- Chuang, Yih-chyi, 2000, “Human Capital, Exports, and Economic Growth: A Causality Analysis for Taiwan, 1952-1995,” Review of International Economics, 8, 712-720
- Chuang, Yih-chyi and Wei-wen Lai, “How Do Personal and Family Factors Affect an Individual’s Educational Achievement? The Case of Taiwan,” Working Paper, Department of Economics, National Chengchi University, 2007.
D. Future perspectives of Taiwan’s economy
- Chuang, Yih-chyi and Chu-Chia Lin, 2007, “Evolution of Industrial Structure and Policy for Future Development,” Taiwan Development Perspectives 2007, National Policy Foundation, Taipei, Taiwan, pp.49-67. ※
- Wang, Zhi, 2003, “WTO Accession, the Greater China Free-trade Area, and Economics Integration across the Taiwan Strait”, China Economic Review, 14, 316-349.
- Chen, Tain-Jy, 2003, “Will Taiwan be Marginalized by China?” Asian Economic Paper, 2, 78-97.
- Chang, S. C., 2007, "The interactions among foreign direct investment, economic growth, degree of openness and unemployment in Taiwan." Applied Economics, 39(13-15), 1647-1661.
- Zhang, Wei-wei, “East Asian Regionalism: Implications for Cross-strait Relationship,” http://www.eias.org/conferences/chinatw1710/chinatwzhang.pdf.
- Rowthorn, R.E. and Coutts K. 2004, “De-industrialization and the Balance of Payments in Advanced Economies,” Discussion papers no. 170, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Berger, S., Lester, K., 2005, “Global Taiwan: Building Competitive Strengths In A New International Economy.” New York: M. E.Sharpe.
- Hsiao, S.T. Frank, 2016, “How Bad Is Taiwan's Economy?” The Deplomat, July 22, 2016. http://thediplomat.com/2016/07/how-bad-is-taiwans-economy/
- San, Gee, 2013, “Taiwan’s Development Strategy for the Next Phase,” Paper presented at The Trans-Pacific Partnership and Taiwan's Future Development Strategy, October, 11-12, 2013. https://fsi.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/evnts/media/(_2013_1023)_Taiwan_for_the_Next_Phase_(San,_Gee)(Final).pdf
- Meltzer Joshua, 2014, “Taiwan’s Economic Opportunities and Challenges and The Importance of the Trans-Pacific Partnership,” East Asian Policy Paper 2, Center for East Asia Policy Studies, Brookings Institution. https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/taiwan-trans-pacific-partnership-meltzer-012014.pdf
- Yang, A. H., 2017, “Strategic Appraisal of Taiwan’s New People-Centered Southbound Policy: The 4Rs Approach,” Prospect Journal, N0.18, 1-34.
- Chen, M. and S. Chattaraj, 2017, “New Southbound Policy in India and South Asia,” Prospect Journal, N0.18, 35-62. http://gioip.nchu.edu.tw/files/writing/3683_7962a418.pdf